Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Induction Day

So, today was induction day for new teachers and veteran teachers new to the district. An information packed day but also SO welcoming and supportive of the newbies. In the morning session we heard an outstanding speaker/author, Mark Sanborn. He wrote Fred Factor and most recently You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader. As he spoke, I found myself writing down many of his quotes and ideas. Although, I rarely reference these notes later on I find that the act of writing helps them become somewhat ingrained into my mental filing cabinet. But, tonight it occurred to me I could post a few here for my faithful readers (mom!). So here are a few thoughts from Mark Sanborn, direct quotes are noted....

-"If someone is following you because of your title you're not leading. you're manipulating."
-"Words are the software of the mind."
- Can I give a few extra seconds or minutes to enrich someones experience?
-"We are so worried about our kids being good we often forget to invite them to be great."
-"You can't give what you don't have." (self-mastery)
-"Ideas that don't serve others are worthless."
- Everything you do either "promotes or pollutes."
- Don't just take action, take responsibility.
-"Leaders take responsibility for problems they didn't create."
-"When you value people you add value to them."
-"It's not about activity, it's about accomplishment."
-"We live in the age of transactions and interactions rather than relationships." (sad but true)
-"We live larger when we live outside ourselves."
-"Beliefs are what you hold, convictions are what hold you."

As I wrote some of the above quotes I am reminded of another influential person in my life/career, Jill Eggleton. One of the many things she said that has always stuck with me is to "do what you believe, and believe in what you do." That quote alone has seen me through some tough times, and help my teaching focus remain on what is most important- the kids!!

One of the other thought provoking parts of the day was Karl Fischer's presentation of Did You Know? I love how throughout the day we kept hearing "this is the start conversations for you to think about and have with colleagues." It is definitely more empowering to hear someone say, "Let's talk about this some more, and I value your input" rather than "This is how it is." A very important thing to remember for the classroom with students.

Watch Did You Know? on YouTube

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sara I read the book, You don't need a title to be a leader, last earlier this year! I wish I could have heard him talk.
Kristen