Sunday, August 12, 2007

Chatfield Reservoir

Well, I decided to continue my exploring today by heading to the nearby Chatfield Reservoir. After paying my entrance fee at the park, I decided to go for a long run. Since it was nearing midday and the heat was on, I figured I could handle about 7 or 8 miles, trying to stay on the shaded parts, and walking if I became too hot. I could not seem to find a map that had mile markers or clear distances on it so I just set out on my way. The scenery was great, lots of boats and without the South Dakota humidity that I am used to the heat really didn't seem too bad, until.... I was about 1/3 the way around the reservoir and still feeling good, so I decided to go what I figured was about halfway, where I saw a great overlook. As I stopped to admire the mountain view, I decided I would rather just keep going around the rest of the reservoir than turn around and run the same way back. Well, this would have been great except for:
1. I don't think it was really the half-way point- I had a lot farther to go than I realized.
2. The trails here are not like SD where there is a water fountain every couple miles.
3. The stretch ahead of me was treeless and high above the water so the 90 degree sun was beating down on me.
Continuing on I had a panic moment as I realized I didn't know where (or if) the trail crossed back over the Platte River. (Note to self: check things like this BEFORE running all the way around) As I stood there saying a mercy prayer I noticed another runner coming at me up ahead (one of the few I had seen that afternoon). I flagged her down and we chatted a minute. I was SO relieved to hear the trail did cut across the river, which prevented my nightmare of having to go all the way back around at the 3/4 point. She also shared one of her fruit bars with me and gave me a little cash for some H20 at the boat marina up ahead. I don't know her name, but I do know she was an angel in disguise! Bless you! As I stood there with her feeling quite embarrassed about how unprepared I was the only thing I could really say for myself was "I'm new here!" :) Well, I eventually made it back to my car, and am now resting comfortably and trying to rehydrate! I learned many important things today, one being it is MUCH more fun to get lost in your car than on foot!!

I later realized it is about 14 miles around the complete reservoir. A great long run if your prepared, but not exactly what I had in mind for today. :)

No comments: