Sunday, September 16, 2007

Longs Peak

Yesterday, a group of us set out to climb Longs Peak (14,255 feet). Getting up at 3:00a.m. to avoid crowds at the trailhead, I did question my judgement. However, I had been looking forward to it all week and knew if I backed out I would be very disappointed. We drove up to the trailhead just as the sun was coming up, and for the first time I wondered if I had gotten myself in over my head (of course would never show this though!!). Here I am, barely adjusted to the altitude, never having climbed a "fourteener," with a group of guys who climb almost every weekend! I didn't let this discourage me though. I just did what I do in most areas of my life- remembered why I was there, and reminded myself to enjoy the experience.
As we put on our backpacks and hit the trail, I felt the same way as when I used to take my black lab for a run. SLOW DOWN!!! The only difference being I knew these guys would not wear out the same way Ellie eventually does. Of course, the first thing I did was think "Oh my gosh, I am so out of shape..." but in reality it is just that I am not in the kind of shape these guys are in! Within the first half-mile I realized I better quit trying to keep their pace if I actually wanted to summit. I decided I would much rather go at my pace, enjoy the experience and reach the top in my own time (while they napped in the car at the bottom)! Once the competitive side of my came to terms with not being "out front," I relaxed and enjoyed things much more. The sound of the rushing creek, the sight of the sun rising, and the amazing views above tree-line kept me company until it started to rain and sleet. Eventually meeting up with the group and passing many climbers who had turned around, we realized the weather would prevent us from continuing to the summit. So, at the halfway point (about 4 miles) we turned around. Disappointing yes, but a great reminder that we will never know the storms that may come our way in the future. Enjoying the experience of life is far more important then reaching every goal we strive for (and this is coming from a perfectionist!!) And most importantly, one setback does not mean we will never get there... hey, that's what next weekend is for!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may never know how your words comforted my soul today!